Mindful Monday: Be Present with PetsPosted on May 7, 2018 by JoAnne
People say all the time that pets are invaluable for their unconditional love and companionship, but they are also great examples of mindfulness.
A survey on Mindful.org explored those benefits and here are some of their results.
How do your pets encourage you to be mindful?
- “They encourage me to be still with them, to sit in silence, and concentrate on touch.”
- “When I get home I give my undivided attention to them. Yes, I see you, and yes, I still love you and missed you too!”
- “Petting him I’m reminded to pay attention and be WITH him as I pet him. And feed him.”
- “When I wake up to let them out in the morning my dogs stretch their bodies, they then walk outside where I observe them first just looking around taking in their environment. They do their business and then just sit. Looking. Observing. When the wind blows by, they lean into it. They smell it and then just sit. Then begin again.”
- “Their short lifespans remind me to savor every moment.”
- “They cause me to develop patience as they tear my house apart!”
- “My cat reminds me to be mindful when I see him watching a dust mote and staring off into space. What is he occupying his mind with?”
What values or feelings do your pet(s) inspire in you?
- “Generosity of spirit.”
- “Unconditional love.”
- “Respect for all animals.”
- “Letting go.”
- “Caring and patience.”
- “Kindness and humility.”
- “Relaxation is important.”
How do your pets help you stay in the moment and be present?Filed Under: Mindful